The FBI has become aware of a spam e-mail purporting to be from Amando M. Tetangco, the Governor of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, (Central Bank of the Philippines). The sender claims the recipient is the beneficiary of a large sum of money, free of any liens or encumbrances. The recipient of the e-mail is requested to confirm the following information:
- First and last name
- Direct phone, fax and mobile #
- Your complete residential address
- Age and sex
Once the above is completed, the sender requests the information be sent to his personal e-mail address at. However, in the original message text, the e-mail is supposedly from , which is Amando Tetangco's actual e-mail address.
After the victim provides/confirms the above information, they are asked for full bank account information in order to receive a wire transfer or a certified bank draft.
This e-mail is an attempt to retrieve personal data for fraudulent use. Do not respond to this e-mail.
Be cautious when responding to requests or special offers delivered through unsolicited e-mail:
- Guard your personal information as well as your account information carefully.
- You should never give any personal, credit, or banking information in response to unsolicited e-mail.
- Be cautious when links are provided in an unsolicited e-mail. It is best to open your browser and type the legitimate or known website address into the address bar.
If you have received this, or a similar hoax, please file a complaint at www.IC3.gov.